Tuesday 24 January 2012

D'Ambrosio joins Lotus as reserve driver

Jerome D'Ambrosio is confirmed as Lotus F1's third driver in 2012.



Jerome D'Ambrosio will be Lotus' reserve driver in 2012, the team has confirmed today. The Belgian drove for Virgin Racing in 2011, before being replaced by Charles Pic for the upcoming season. D'Ambrosio competed in every race in 2011, with a best finish of 14th, in Australia and Canada.

“It’s a great feeling to be joining Lotus F1 Team. It’s an exciting next step in my career. I contested a complete season in F1 as a race driver for a smaller team where I learnt a lot about Formula 1. Now, I have the opportunity to work with one of the top teams with great potential for my future development. With my recent race experience, I know I can make a valuable contribution. Of course, I would love to be racing, but racing with a top team. Being associated with Lotus F1 Team should be more beneficial and this is the choice I have made. This opportunity is one I couldn’t afford to miss. My desire to get back in a race seat in the future is motivating me to do the best job possible in my new position.”

It is understood D'Ambrosio was in the frame for the second Williams seat, but that was taken by Bruno Senna. Only the second HRT seat is free, though Jarno Trulli's seat at Caterham is thought to be under threat.

No comments:

Post a Comment