Wednesday 14 December 2011

New line up for Toro Rosso as Ricciardo and Vergne are confirmed for 2012

Toro Rosso change both drivers in a totally new line-up for 2012.
Toro Rosso have confirmed that Daniel Ricciardo and Jean-Eric Vergne will be driving for the team in 2012. This surprising news leaves Jaime Alguersuari and Sebastien Buemi out of a drive for next season.

The Australian Ricciardo, who took part in eleven races for HRT (right) this year, said: “To be honest, I am still jumping up and down with excitement at the news. In the second half of 2011 I learned a lot from the people I worked with, racing in eleven Grands Prix and I want to thank them for the opportunity they gave me. I have to say that joining Scuderia Toro Rosso was always my real goal, so a big thank you to Red Bull for giving me this fantastic opportunity and now I can’t wait to get to work once testing begins.”

While Vergne, who topped all three days of the Abu Dhabi Young Driver's Test for Red Bull last month (left), added “First of all, I must thank Red Bull for all their support so far and for believing I am ready to take on the ultimate challenge of racing in Formula 1. Christmas has come early for me this year! Having driven for them a few times this year and also testing for Red Bull Racing in Abu Dhabi, I definitely feel ready to make the move, even if I know there is a big difference between testing and actually racing."

This is quite a surprise, especially for Alguersuari, who had a brilliant year this year. HRT seems like a possible route for him, considering they want a Spanish line up. For Buemi, it may be more difficult to find a seat. 1 Williams seat alongisde Maldonado remains, as do both Force India seats and one HRT drive.

No comments:

Post a Comment