Friday 9 December 2011

Romain Grosjean confirmed to drive with Lotus in 2012

Romain Grosjean is returning to F1 with Lotus next year, after seven races in 2011.

Romain Grosjean is being given a second Formula One chance, after he was announced as partnering Kimi Raikkonen in 2012. The pair will be driving for Renault, who are set to become Lotus next season.

Grosjean last raced in the final seven races of 2009 for Renault, alongside Fernando Alonso, with a 13th placed finish his best result in Brazi. The Frenchman was perhaps more famous for ironically crashing at the same corner at Singapore that his predecessor Nelson Piquet Jr did, in the crashgate scandal.

Grosjean was not retained for 2010, Renault instead picking Robert Kubica and Vitaly Petrov. However, he has had experience in other motorsport since then, taking part in the 2010 GT1 Championship, the 2010 Auto GP and the 2010 24 hours of Le Mans race. However, his biggest achievements must be winning the 2011 GP2 Asia title, and the 2011 GP2 title.


Grosjean in action in 2009
 Grosjean said of the news: “There’s a big grin on my face at the prospect of getting behind the wheel of next year’s car, and I feel very privileged to be given this opportunity. To be racing alongside a former world champion and someone who is hungry and returning to Formula 1 will be a great experience, and I’m sure will help raise my level of performance too. I feel that my successful season in GP2 has helped me mature a lot, and I am a much more complete driver than I was last time I was competing in this sport. Returning to Enstone as a race driver feels like coming home. I will not disappoint and I wish to thank all the people without whom this return to F1 would not have been possible. Total, who have supported me since 2006, and Gravity Sport Management, are first on this list.”

This announcement leaves Vitaly Petrov, who had a two year contract with Lotus, and Bruno Senna, out of a drive. With Pastor Maldonado re-signed for Williams next year, their chances of a good drive could be slim.

No comments:

Post a Comment